9.02.2013

Pregnancy Tips



When it is your first time being pregnant you have absolutely no idea what to expect! You can read about the common things people go through, but you simply won't know what it will be like until you go through it for yourself. If I had to sum up one overarching pregnancy tip it would be...

Everybody is different!! Don't compare. Be thankful you are you!

Some tips I'm sharing that are general enough for other women to learn from: 
Diet---Although I never really had any cravings and still continued to eat healthy, I wasn't aware of the amount of protein you need to intake! Try to eat some form of protein with every meal. And of course small frequent meals are a must. Also, if you're not used to consuming a lot of calories a day, make sure you take in about 300 extra calories a day.

Emotions---I actually had fewer breakdowns than I expected to have, but WHEN they happen, they are almost impossible to stop. Even when you know its for no reason. Just be patient, let it play out, and it will go away before you know it. Make sure you communicate this with your husband so he knows its YOU not HIM. I can't believe how many times I have had strong urges to tell complete strangers a piece of my mind! If this happens try to distract yourself and move on so you don't follow through and say something you might regret.

Communication---This one sort of goes along with the emotions. But as you are constantly changing to your new state, your husband will need a few hints about this. So make sure you clearly communicate your needs, aches, worries, etc. He might not be used to some new needs for you, so this is pretty important.

Gratitude---It can be easy to get the "complaining" ball rolling when you're feeling so many new and uncomfortable bodily changes. One thing I started doing about half way through pregnancy is writing a gratitude list every night before bed. This helped take my focus off myself and changed my attitude too.

Research--- With a plethora of information in the world about health risks and what to avoid when pregnant, it can be overwhelming and scary. I recommend having a few close resources who have been through it and can give you sound advice and of course a trusted care giver. I was amazed at how many in home remedies there are for nearly every pregnancy discomfort (thanks to my midwives). You don't have to spend a fortune buying all the gadgets and accessories when you know how to research home remedies!

Relax--- Overall, try to relax about things. It is not the end of the world if you skip the prenatal vitamin for one day. If you have one terribly emotional night, your baby will be fine. Expect to have some sleepless nights, but be thankful they are preparing you for the baby. As long as these don't become a daily pattern it will be okay. Especially at the end of pregnancy, just focus on self care and enjoyment! Preparations are made and now its time to just have fun! Which is why, I'd recommend getting the hard things (nursery, shopping etc) out of the way sooner rather than later.

Exercise--- Each trimester brings on a different set of experiences and adjustments. Some are actually positive reliefs! The best tip I can tell you is---exercise now! Before pregnancy! If you are doing this, it shouldn't be a problem for you to keep it up. If you're not used to exercising, try just walking for starters. Its great for the hips and mental health as well. Don't try any new programs during pregnancy. Prenatal yoga is great, even for beginners. I really enjoyed most any prenatal workout because then you don't have to worry about modifications and it feels great to work out with other pregnant women. Most importantly, when working out, especially pregnant is to listen to your body! Be aware of your heart rate and pains you might feel and make adjustments. Its good motherly practice, because you have to take care of yourself first to take care of your baby too.

Resources--- Apps--I loved the My Pregnancy App. I read the Birth Club Forum every night before bed and it made me not feel alone and know there are lots of other women dealing with their own troubles too. The kick counter tool that comes with it is great for end of pregnancy. If you're not already tracking your cycle with some app, it will come in handy when you're trying to find out your due date, so I recommend finding a good app (I use iPeriod) and starting that habit. I also used a pedometer app to track my walking and the All in One Yoga app for poses and routines any time you need them.
                     Books--Besides books on natural childbirth, I read The Motherly Art of Breastfeeding. If you're planning to breastfeed, its an excellent resource with tips that extend way beyond nursing. My favorite baby book I've read is called CALMS: A guide to soothing your baby. Its an excellent easy read with modern research and I believe every word it says. One thing my husband and I did since we haven't been married for a long time, is read a great marital book. It was a great connective thing for us to do since we will be focused on kids books for the next few years.
                      Other---I highly recommend a birthing class! Ours was six weeks long and pretty extensive, but worth every penny and every moment! We gained so much knowledge about the unknowns of birth. We will be watching The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD really soon! And if you're curious about home birth, The Business of Being Born is quite the eye opening documentary.

Clothes---That's a whole other post!! Coming soon!!

Be flexible---Pregnancy brings so many transitions emotionally, mentally, physically, not to mention the life transition. Thank goodness its nine months long, which allows plenty of time to break habits, start new ones, adjust to new things etc. Its obvious God knew exactly what He was doing when He planned all this! So lets trust it! Just go with the changes. Make healthy adjustments to make sure you're getting good sleep of course, but learn to be flexible. Every day is completely different so be there present for that day. Its a great preparation for Parenthood, I can tell already.

Now, I've still got 2-4 weeks of this, so who knows else might happen over these weeks! I hope this was somewhat helpful for you. Feel free to ask any specific questions. I tried to keep this informative for any type of birth, natural or not. But I can get on my home birth soap box at any time when needed :)


2 comments:

Joy said...

Even though I'm not pregnant, I'm excited for the pregnant fashion post.

glee said...

this is such a fabulous pregnancy post, Naomi. I'll be checking this back the moment I get pregnant. congratulations once again, you've done it! baby eve is beautiful and sweet.